Saturday, April 30, 2011

When life intrudes on art...

It's been an eventful several weeks, and I'll confess that I've only been able to do a tiny bit of painting between the show at the Hallway Gallery, the day trip with Liz to NYC to catch the Abstract Expressionist retrospective at the Museum of Modern Art two days before it ended (more about that later), and crazy busyness at work, trying to get two federal reports out on time. There was also Lizzie's concert the other night, (where she sang two very well received solos), and just the day to day stuff that happens and needs attending to. Sometimes  I can't even fathom how I've gotten as much painting done as I have over the past two years.


Life has a habit of intruding on the perfect zone of concentration and creative productivity that I envision as ideal and necessary for art-making. In truth, much of my best work has been done during snatched hours and under less than ideal conditions. The phone rings when my hands are covered with sticky glop. Liz needs to eat. The animals need to eat. Sometimes I need to eat and remember to drink water. All of this requires clumping back down two flights off stairs, then back up again to work while I still have the light. My concentration gets broken, but it gives me a chance to reassess what I have been working on for the past several hours, and that can be a very good thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment