Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The (latest) Artist Statement

From my earliest memory, I have been curious about the mysterious force of electricity, from the wall socket--at three I dreamed of a wall-sized Redi-Kilowatt as god of energy--and as lightning from the sky.

Having lived through a tornado at a tender age, I obsessed over the power of the tornado in the "Wizard of Oz" that could carry a whole house and its inhabitants to a completely different world.

In spite of my fear, I felt a kinship with these forces of nature.

Later on, I would gaze for hours at the night sky, traveling in my mind to the farthest stars and feeling as huge as the universe.

My investigations extended to the invisible worlds of the microscopic and sub-atomic, and like my hero Alice, I wondered what creatures might live behind the mirror-surface of still water.

In my current work I've attempted to cultivate a visual language that gives form to these fascinations. This language grows out of my ongoing dialog with key painters of the 20th century, yet, it is also primal, arising from a place of mystery and dream.

1 comment: